KUALA LUMPUR, September 26 — While attention was focused on internal matters leading to the resignation of national coach Rashid Sidek and talent management group director (TMG) Tan Aik Mong, the BA of Malaysia (BAM) seem to have forgotten about the Asia Youth Under-15 and Under-17 championships.
Checks on the Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC) website revealed not a single Malaysian shuttler was registered for the regional age-group tournament to be held in Kudus, Indonesia, on October 8-13. The deadline for the registration of players was September 17.
This comes about as BAM president Tengku Mahaleel Tengku Ariff is set to be acting TMG director and strives to be a hands-on president.
Newly-appointed assessor Tan Kim Her claimed he did not know anything about the non-registration of the national shuttlers.
“I have no idea about the matter. I don’t want to comment about this,” said Kim Her.
BAM officials, too, preferred to keep mum.
Malaysia featured in three finals at last year’s edition. It was an all-Malaysian final in the Under-15 boys’ doubles when Tan Jia Wei-Ooi Zi Heng defeated Soh Wooi Yik-Lee Zii Jia 21-19, 16-21, 21-18.
Soh lost in the Under-15 boys’ singles final while Kisona Selvaduray played bridesmaid in the Under-15 girls’ singles final.
Aik Mong was appointed on September 7 and introduced several changes in the coaching structure that did not go down well with several coaches. Rashid resigned on September 19 after having spent 10 years with the national body.
Tengku Mahaleel, who had earlier questioned Rashid’s contract with the Indian Badminton League (IBL), yesterday said Rashid did not breach any contract and considered the “matter closed”.
“We accept Aik Mong’s resignation. As for Razif (Sidek) and Kim Her, they will remain as assessors,” he said at Juara Stadium.
Rashid is set to rejoin BAM after handing a letter explaining his involvement in the IBL.