KUALA LUMPUR, June 13 — Youth and Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said two national shooting athletes can go ahead with their intention to file a suit against the party which failed to submit evidence of their disciplinary problems which led to their ouster from the list of athletes for the 2017 Kuala Lumpur SEA Games.
Nevertheless, Khairy reminded them on the process of selection of athletes for the biennial games which was based on certain criteria which had been set.
“The National Sports Council must prepare (if sued). The athletes concerned must realise that the selection is based on certain stipulated criteria. They must also understand that there were terms and conditions when they signed the contract under the Podium Programme,” he told reporters after a TN50 Dialogue session with athletes at the NSC today.
On Thursday, two elite national shooters, Muslifah Zulkifli and Nur Ayuni Farhana Abdul Halim, had urged the parties concerned to furnish evidence of their disciplinary problems which resulted in them being dropped from the 29th SEA Games shooting squad.
According to Muslifah, the allegation of disciplinary problem was an excuse that was deliberately concocted by certain quarters to portray a negative picture of her character and performance.
A total 20 shooters comprising 13 men and seven women were listed to shoulder the challenges of the national shooting squad which has targeted four gold medals at the Kuala Lumpur SEA Games.
The current edition would see the National Shooting Association of Malaysia (NSAM) listing young shooter Nur Izazi Rosli, 17 and Shahera Rahim Raja in the 10m Air Rifle since they had qualified on merit.
Muslifah was the bronze medal winner in the 50m Rifle Prone team event in the 2015 Asia Games while Nur Ayuni won in the 10m Air Rifle. — Bernama