GEORGE TOWN, Nov 10 ― Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng has urged Putrajaya today to release the RM1 billion that was approved for flood mitigation projects in the state.
He said the federal government has already approved the funds but the sum was not released.
“Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak did not announce any allocation or funding for Penang for the floods when he came here,” Lim said.
He clarified that Najib had only mentioned the RM150 million allocation for the Sungai Pinang flood mitigation project that was approved last year.
“He mentioned that this was approved last year, he did not recycle his announcements like some claimed, I was there so to be fair, he mentioned that the allocation was approved last year,” Lim said, who insisted that he was not defending Najib but only stating what had happened.
He stressed that Najib did not announce any special allocations or funding for those affected by the floods in Penang.
“We are still waiting for him to announce any allocation for the flood victims in Penang,” he said.
Lim later ticked off “certain quarters” who had laughed at those who were affected by the floods last weekend.
“There were people who belittled and laughed the suffering the flood victims went through due to the storm, this is not a time to laugh,” he said.
“It is okay if they belittle me or laugh at me, I won’t respond but not at the people of Penang who are affected by this.”
The Penang state government has also identified a site for the public to drop off their contributions and supplies for the flood victims.
“The Penang DAP headquarters is full so we have identified the Silver Jubilee Home in Sungai Nibong to collect supplies that the public donated to the flood victims,” he said.
Lim later launched the penangbangkit.com website for public to learn more about the RM100 million Penang Bounce Back programme.
Those who wish to donate to the programme can go to the website and deposit the fund into the Bantuan Banjir Pulau Pinang account listed in the website.
The state government is also organising a massive cleanup project this weekend open to all volunteers. Details of the exercise is listed on the Penang Bangkit website.
The Penang Bounce Back programme has to date received a total RM5 million in donations collected by Penang DAP.
Meanwhile, China consul general Wu Jing contributed RM50,000 to the fund. He also handed over RMB100,000 (RM63,127) collected from Hainan Province, China.