HULU SELANGOR, Feb 5 — Police will continue efforts to reduce road accidents for the Chinese New Year festival under the Ops Selamat umbrella, saying the campaign cut fatal accidents by 10 per cent last year.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun said this year’s Ops Selamat will have a two-pronged approach: to reduce burglaries as well as traffic accidents.
According to police data, fatal road crashes fell to 235 during the period last year, or a 10 per cent reduction from 2016.
Mohamad Fuzi disclosed that overall incidents went from 19,572 in 2016 to 20,752 last year, but said the rise was proportionate to the growth in the total vehicle population across the same period.
“We also achieved a 7.9 per cent decrease in deaths between 2016 (279) and 2017 (257),” he said after launching Op Selamat 12/2018 at R&R Ulu Bernam today.
Mohamad Fuzi said the police will take several approaches to execute this year’s Op Selamat, such as prioritising enforcement at blackspots and intensifying neighbourhood patrols.
“The police would also conduct urine tests on motorists, especially drivers of heavy vehicles and public transportation, in our total enforcement approach.
“Our aim is to lower both fatal and non-fatal accidents across the board as we collaborate with several agencies such as the Malaysia Highway Authority, Fire and Rescue Department, Road Transport Department and the Civil Defence Force to make this campaign a success,” he said.
He also advised those heading back to their hometowns for the long break to inform their local police stations of their planned absence to allow for better monitoring of vacant property.
“We want to encourage cooperation between members of society to fight crime in line with our Community Oriented Policing,” he said.
The latest Op Selamat will run from Feb 9 until 23, or a week before the start of and week after the last day of the Chinese New Year.