Sunday June 18, 2017
07:28 AM GMT+8

Advertisement

More stories

Three of the suspects in connection with Nhaveen’s death were produced at the Georgetown magistrate’s court after they were rearrested on Friday. — Picture by Sayuti ZainudinThree of the suspects in connection with Nhaveen’s death were produced at the Georgetown magistrate’s court after they were rearrested on Friday. — Picture by Sayuti ZainudinGEORGE TOWN, June 18 — The five suspects involved in the murder of teenager T. Nhaveen have a history of criminal intimidation.

As the police probe widens, city OCPD Assistant Commissioner Anuar Omar said the suspects, aged between 16 and 18, were believed to be serial bullies preying on teenagers within their Gelugor neighbourhood which stretches from Taman Tun Sardon to Taman Buah Pala.

“They are the ultimate juvenile delinquents,” he said. 

One is a Form Four student, another Form Five; one is jobless while another two were students at private colleges.

Nhaveen’s uncle M. Vincent said the family was informed that some of the suspects had prior criminals records when they went to lodge their report.

“We are certain the suspects are thugs and they behaved aggressively because they think they have a ‘godfather’ to protect them.”

Anuar said there was one police report lodged against two of the suspects. However, the complainant, a 19-year-old convenience store worker, withdrew it three hours after filing it at Jelutong police station.

Police had convinced the youth to reopen the investigation after Nhaveen’s family had lodged a similar report.

“The teenage victim is now assisting in investigations,” Anuar said, adding police hope to charge the suspects soon as they have finalised their probe.

Seri Delima Assemblyman R.S.N. Rayer and Nhaveen’s family members were disappointed as police said the tragedy which befell Nhaveen could have been avoided if investigations had commenced last month.

“The report lodged on May 5 contained claims of extortion,” Rayer told Sunday Mail.

“The suspects could have been picked up then. But they went on to brutally attack Nhaveen on June 9,” he added.

The timid teenager’s unfortunate death on Thursday has sparked an outcry nationwide. The bespectacled Nhaveen was admitted to Penang Hospital in a comatose state.

The attack came days short of Nhaveen leaving for Kuala Lumpur where he was to enrol with a private college to take up music studies as he aspired to become a composer.

Police investigations showed he was brutally assaulted near Jalan Kaki Bukit in Gelugor, while his friend T. Previnn, 19, who was also injured in the process, managed to escape.

Doctors also found Nhaveen was sexually violated.

Penang Police Commissioner Datuk Chuah Ghee Lye said the complainant in last month’s case withdrew his report voluntarily and was not under duress.

“He mentioned that he did not want to prolong the matter so the police could not do anything as the person making the allegations had refused to cooperate,” he said.

Gerakan Legal Bureau chairperson Baljit Singh said there were more than three reports lodged against the five suspects, both old and present complaints.

“They have been up to no good for some time,” he said.

Other developments which have unfolded:

* Nhaveen’s ashes was collected from the Batu Gantong crematorium and scattered around Penang channel yesterday.

* Families of the five suspects were searching for a new defence counsel after V. Parthipan opted not to represent his clients because he had yet to receive any new instructions from them. A sister of one of the accused said the family was looking for new counsel as Parthipan was only engaged for the remands.

* An online signature campaign has amassed close to 30,000 signatures and copies of the petition will be sent to the United Nations, the federal and state governments to address school bullying. The petition was initiated by computer engineering student Mukhesh Ravi.

More Trending Videos

Trending Videos

Advertisement

MMO Instagram

Tweets by @themmailonline