KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 23 — Gerakan is maintaining its individual objection to the Election Commission’s proposed redelineation despite the formation of a Barisan Nasional committee to compile such complaints.
Gerakan president Datuk Seri Mah Siew Keong told reporters this after today’s BN Supreme Council when Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak announced the panel.
“We brought it up today that some of the changes are not fair, so Gerakan will press ahead with our objection against some of the constituencies,” Mah said.
BN chairman Najib earlier said committee will be chaired by the BN secretary-general as well as the secretaries-general of all parties in order to standardise the coalition’s counter proposal to the EC.
The EC is proposing to redraw the boundaries of 12 parliamentary and 34 state constituencies in the peninsula and create 13 new state seats in Sabah.
According to the EC, objections to the recommendations can only be made by the state government, local authorities partly or partially included in the redelineation exercise, or a group of no fewer than 100 registered voters of an affected constituency.
Mah had previously said that the redelineation would give DAP an advantage in several constituencies that Gerakan will be contesting