PETALING JAYA, Nov 21 — Despite government assurances the dengue plague is being brought under control, reported infections continue to rise with the death toll reaching 169 from January until November 8.
The fatality rate is a 168 per cent increase from 63 deaths in the same period last year.
Five deaths were reported from November 2 to 8.
The victims were from Selangor, the Federal Territory, Putrajaya and Johor Baru.
The victims in Selangor included a 40-year-old man from Semenyih, a 42-year-old woman from Kuala Selangor and a 39-year-old woman from Shah Alam.
The victim in the Federal Territory was a 29-year-old woman from Setapak, while the victim in Johor was a 73-year-old man from Kulai.
Selangor continues to top the dengue casualty chart with 1,120 cases, followed by Johor Baru (144) and the Federal Territory and Putrajaya (109).
In the same week, a total of 2,041 cases were reported, a 2.1 per cent decrease from the previous week.
From January until Nov 8, a total of 88,806 cases were reported, a 185 per cent increase from last year.
Health Ministry director-general Datuk Seri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said as of Nov 8, a total of 606 active localities nationwide were reported.
He said from the total, 96 localities were identified as hotspots but only 13 gotong-royong activities were conducted.
“Through monitoring and controlling activities, the ministry has identified the breeding rate of Aedes mosquitoes to be from 1.1 per cent to as high as 25 per cent,” he said.
Dr Noor Hisham urged residents to monitor and keep their homes clean by carrying out weekly cleaning sessions.