KUALA TERENGGANU, Oct 19 — Sixty-two students of Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Agama (SMKA) Sheikh Abdul Malik, here, were rushed to Sultanah Nur Zahirah Hospital (HSNZ) after they complained of stomach ache and diarrhoea today.
State Education Department director, Shafruddin Ali Hussin said the 36 female and 26 male students were given outpatient treatment at the hospital.
“Except for four girls and two boys, the rest were allowed to return to school at 11.30am today.
“Based on the preliminary investigation, the food poisoning might have stemmed from the egg sandwiches served at the hostel for supper last night.
“It is understood that the students were rushed to the hospital after they complained of abdominal pain and diarrhoea about 9am today,” he told Bernama.
Shafruddin advised food suppliers to ensure that only quality food items were supplied to school hostels as agreed in their contract.
“Hostel food suppliers need to do stringent quality checks on the foodstuff delivered and reject them if the food items have expired,” he said.
He added that hostel wardens too should make constant checks on the quality of food served and act fast on any untoward incident such as food poisoning.
“Most importantly, they need to inform parents as well as the Education Department and District Education Office immediately for further action.
“The Health Department should also be informed to monitor the situation on a regular basis,” he said. — Bernama