SINGAPORE, Dec 10 ― The 55-year-old bus driver who is said to have run over and killed an Indian national on Sunday night — an incident that led to a riot in Little India — will be charged with causing death by a negligent act, said the police.
Twenty-six men arrested in connection with the riot — 25 Indian nationals and one Singapore permanent resident — will be charged today for rioting. Two Bangladeshi nationals had also been arrested, but investigations revealed that they were not involved in the incident, the police said in a statement last night.
If convicted, the suspected rioters each face up to seven years in jail and caning, while the Singaporean bus driver — who was arrested, but is now out on bail — faces two years’ imprisonment and/or a fine.
Meanwhile, the injuries and damage caused by the angry mob of 400 that night have turned out to be more extensive than thought. A total of 39 officers — 22 from the police, 12 from the Singapore Civil Defence Force and five auxiliary — suffered injuries and lacerations, said the police. They have all been discharged from hospital.
In total, 25 emergency vehicles had been damaged, including 16 police cars, of which five had been set ablaze. ― Today