KUALA LUMPUR, June 18 — The Malaysian Grand Prix may return if the sport can be “revived” to bring the excitement it once had, Sepang International Circuit (SIC) said.
SIC chief executive Datuk Razlan Razali said if the new owners of Formula 1 were able to make this happen, the sport could continue to operate in Malaysia.
“If it ticks all the boxes, we will take it back. We want to see how exciting F1 is again. The new owners need to take back control of F1 and the racing,” he was quoted as saying in Motorsport.com.
Razali said racing has become less exciting following a reduced number of TV viewers and declining spectators.
It was reported that former F1 head Bernie Ecclestone was removed from his position after a takeover by US giant Liberty Media earlier this year.
“They (Liberty Media) need to bring the excitement back, they need to sort it out. Let’s see what the new management comes up with,” he was quoted as saying.
In Malaysia, the final Formula 1 race will be held between September 29 and October 1after Putrajaya decided to pull the plug after finding that it was becoming too costly to host the sport.
It was reported that the government spent RM294 million annually to stage the sport here.