KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 17 — The data used on sayakenahack.com for Malaysians to check their exposure to a massive data breach will be deleted on Sunday, said the site’s owner Keith Rozario.
The site currently uses data of the 46.2 million subscriptions stolen from local telecommunications firms, and was blocked locally yesterday by the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
On his website, Rozario said he has a script scheduled to run on Sunday to delete the data.
“So if you wanna check, you better do it now, cause in 3 days time, it’ll be gone,” he said in his post.
The site allows users to input their MyKad numbers to cross-reference the stolen data to see if their personal information has been compromised, but masks the returned information similarly to how credit card numbers are hidden on printed receipts.
This still prompted the Data Privacy Protection Department (JPDP) to have the MCMC to block it yesterday.
The legality of repurposing the stolen data is also unclear.
Rozario launched the site on Sunday, following news that the the cellular subscription account information and the databases of the Malaysian Medical Council, the Malaysian Medical Association and the Malaysian Dental Association had been compromised.
Rozario said he chose not to host the medical databases to avoid exposing potentially sensitive information.
The leak has been called the largest personal data information theft in the country.