KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 3 — The flood situation in Pahang, Johor and Terengganu has worsened with more victims evacuated to Flood Relief Centres (FRC) tonight.
In Pahng more than 9,000 people were evacuated to FRCs from five districts as of 8pm tonight said a spokesman from the Pahang police headquarters said the 9,030 victims from 2,095 families have been evacuated from the five districts affected.
“A total of 69 FRCs are in operation in Maran, Pekan, Rompin, Kuantan and Jerantut. Kuantan registered the highest number of victims with 3,672 (916 families) staying at 33 relief centres.
“In Rompin, 3,249 people from 859 families were evacuated to 13 centres. Pekan has 932 victims, Maran 1,124 and Jerantut 62,” the spokesman told Bernama, here today.
He said Km28 of the Kuantan-Sungai Lembing, Km36 Jalan Gambang-Kuantan, Km16 Jalan Nenasi-Pekan, Km145 Jalan Jerangau-Jabor, Km72 Jalan Kuantan-Segamat and Km10 Jalan Kuantan-Pekan have been closed to light traffic.
The rising waters has also forced RapidKuantan which operates 46 buses services in 13 routes in and around Kuantan to stop its services temporarily.
RapidKuantan chief executive officer Zainurul Hakim Mohamad said due to the worsening flood conditions in and around Kuantan, operations were fully suspended at 1pm today.
“People living in high risk flood prone areas and those living near rivers must be prepared for any eventuality and follow instructions from the authorities when necessary,” he said.
Warnings have also been issued in Jerantut to about 10,000 people living along Sungai Tembeling and Sungai Pahang as the water level in both rivers has been rising.
Pahang Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Adnan Yaakob said he would appeal to the Federal government for assistance to manage irrigation and drainage in Kuantan due to rampant flooding whenever it rains heavily.
He also urged all relevant agencies to assist flood victims in the state.
Tengku Mahkota Pahang Tengku Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah meanwhile, urged all parties to offer assistance to those affected by floods.
“Even with good irrigation and drainage, there will still be floods if it continues to rain for days,” he said after visiting flood victims at Sekolah SMART, here today.
In JOHOR, the number of flood victims rose to 5,552 from 1,586 families tonight as flood conditions worsened in six districts, namely Mersing, Segamat, Kota Tinggi, Kluang, Muar and Batu Pahat.
According to the National Security Council portal, 47 FRCs had been opened to house the flood victims.
Mersing remained the worst affected with 4,308 victims, followed by Segamat with 1,110, Kluang (114), Kota Tinggi (106), Muar (87) and Batu Pahat (13).
According to Mersing district police chief DSP Zulkifli Hashim, two roads in the district - Km7 Jalan Nitar-Kluang and Jalan Kota Tinggi-Mersing near Kampung Sungai Ara, were closed for light traffic.
“People heading to Mersing, Kluang or Kota Tinggi are advised to use the alternative Jemaluang-Kluang and Jalan Tenggaroh-Tanjung Sedili-Kota Tinggi roads,” he said.
He said a part of Jalan Kota Tinggi-Mersing at Km16 near Institut Latihan Perindustrian (ILP) has been closed for maintenance after a land slide.
In Terengganu the number of flood victims from three districts, namely Kemaman, Dungun and Hulu Terengganu, increased to 2,819 compared with 905 in the afternoon.
As of 10pm tonight, the flood victims from 724 families were housed at 42 relief centres with Kemaman recording the highest number with 1,842 followed by Dungun (581) and Hulu Terengganu (396).
In Kemaman three roads were also closed for all traffic while some were closed for light traffic.
The three roads closed for all traffic are Jalan Felda Neram, Jalan Sungai Pinang and Jalan Jerangau-Jabor while roads closed for light traffic are Felda Neram 1, Felda Neram 2, Kampung Tebok, Jalan Neram-Bukit Goh and Jalan Jerangau-Jabor (Bukit Besi). — Bernama