Last updated Friday, September 30, 2016 1:01 pm GMT+8

Thursday September 22, 2016
08:43 PM GMT+8

Advertisement

More stories

SANDAKAN, Sept 22 — The application for the extradition and trial of eight Indonesian nationals allegedly involved in the hijacking of the Malaysian oil tanker, MT Orkim Harmony, last year, has been approved by a court in Vietnam.

Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department Datuk Seri Dr Shahidan Kassim said, at present, the government was awaiting decision of its appeal for the case in Vietnam.

“This new development is a huge success in maritime enforcement since Malaysia and Vietnam did not have any extradition agreement,” he said when opening the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) 17th Maritime District Building Office here today.

His speech text was read by Sabah Deputy Chief Minister Datuk Raymond Tan Shu Kiah.

The oil tanker, was hijacked east of Tanjung Sedili, Kota Tinggi, Johor, on June 11, 2015, with 22 crew members, comprising 16 Malaysians, five Indonesians and a Myanmar, onboard.

The eight suspected Indonesian hijackers were arrested by the Vietnam authorities near Tho Chu Island, southern Vietnam.

Shahidan said the Vietnamese court’s decision was made possible due to the determination of all quarters involved, be it the Attorney-General’s Chambers, Foreign Ministry and MMEA, to have the suspects to be extradited for trial in Malaysia as the incident occurred on Malaysian waters and involved Malaysian oil tanker. — Bernama

MORE ON MMOTV

Advertisement

MMO Instagram

Tweets by @themmailonline