SEPANG, March 9 — CNN’s Christine Amanpour reported that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is sending its agents to Malaysia “to support the investigation into the disappearance of Flight MH370”, as air search operations for the missing Malaysia Airlines (MAS) plane continued.
Meanwhile, Department of Civil Aviation Director-General Datuk Azharuddin Abdul Rahman said today that operations commenced at seven this morning with three aircrafts.
He added that sea operations had continued all night but no sign of the missing MH370 aircraft was found.
“So far, there is no report of any sighting,” he told reporters at the Sam Sama Hotel here.
He reiterated that the search and rescue team expanded operations to the west side of peninsula Malaysia but there have been no reports of sightings.
Azharuddin also clarified that authorities lost contact at 1:30am on Saturday morning and explained that authorities only issued a statement hours later because it needed to verify with neighbouring countries.
“We have to be very, very careful in issuing such statements... that’s the reason why it took a bit of time to do that,” he said.
On the reported oil slick near the site where the plane was last reported to have made contact, he said it has not been verified.
“It is reported in the media but it is not verified, it is not confirmed yet,” he said.
According to a New York Times report yesterday from Hong Kong, the 19.3 km oil slick in the waters between Malaysia and Vietnam could be the first sign that the Boeing 777-200 aircraft carrying 239 people had indeed gone down in the sea off the coast of Vietnam.