Chrysler plans to reveal the 2015 ProMaster City today as the Auburn Hills-based company in Michigan anticipates total annual US sales of commercial vans of about 400,000 over the next five years, according to an emailed presentation. Small vans such as the ProMaster City, which mimics parent Fiat SpA’s Doblo model, will account for about a quarter of those, the third-largest US automaker said.
The van, Chrysler’s latest small-commercial vehicle, will tap “pent-up demand” from delivery, construction and other businesses to replace aging models in an improving economy. May’s jobless rate held steady at 6.3 per cent as employers added workers. And with 131.7 cubic feet (3.7 cubic metres) of cargo space and other features, the ProMaster City should stand out, Dave Sullivan, an analyst with AutoPacific Inc, said.
“At first glance, this van might appear to be a copy of the Nissan NV200 or the Ford Transit Connect,” he said. “It’s not.”
An improved rear suspension created a more comfortable ride, and a longer wheelbase offered more space, Sullivan said.
Offered in two-seat and five-seat models, the van has a 178-horsepower engine and a nine-speed automatic transmission. It’s the first vehicle in its class to offer the latter feature, Chrysler said.
Ford sold 4,222 Transit Connect cargo vans in May, a 14 per cent jump from a year earlier, and the Dearborn-based automaker’s best sales month ever. Nissan, the No. 2 Japanese automaker, reported 1,203 deliveries of its NV200 model over the same period, almost quadruple the number from a year earlier.
Ram’s original ProMaster, unveiled in 2013, sold 1,033 units in May, after beginning US sales in October. Its C/V sold 768, a 21 per cent drop from a year earlier. Both are Class 1 vans.
“Years ago, the selection of delivery and cargo vehicles was limited and those offerings didn’t focus on cost of ownership,” said Reid Bigland, president and chief executive officer of the Ram brand. “Today all of that has changed with the recent introduction of the full-size Ram ProMaster and now the Ram ProMaster City.” — Bloomberg
- PKR, DAP will suffer at the polls if Hadi betrayed, Utusan warns
- As PAS leans right, Pakatan allies bare fangs on social media
- Three Pakatan men interviewed for Selangor MB post, decision on Monday, report says
- PAS legal bureau bites back, tells critics to do their homework
- ISA needed to shield Chinese, Indians from Malay fury, Ibrahim Ali says
- What does it mean to be middle class in Malaysia?
- Suspected case of Ebola in Sarawak, patient being monitored
- Dr M: Malaysia will be like Singapore if Pakatan takes power
- Till martyrdom do us part? ‘Malaysian’ doctor shares her IS love story
- MAS MH198 to Hyderabad forced to turn back, emergency landing in KLIA